2012 Election, 99%, Activism, Hands Off Iberville, HANO, Iberville Town Hall Meeting, National Urban League Conference, NOLA Timebank, Obama, Occupy The Vote, OccupyNOLA, OVF House of Blues, Shell Oil, Social Justice
“Iberville Town Hall Meeting”
St Jude Hall, 410 Basin Street
C3/Hands off Iberville
Let the People Speak!The C3/Hands Off Iberville PLAN:
- The people united can beat Kabacoff and company’s plan to demolish, displace, and raise rents for all working class people!
- C3/Hands Off Iberville says NO WAY to demolition and gentrification.
- We demand that ALL the public housing units at Iberville be
rebuilt. Furthermore, we demand the federal government create a new mass , direct-government employment public works program, at good union wages, to rebuild housing, schools, hospitals and everything else the people need. JOBS
For more info call 504-520-9521
July 20 (Fri) 1:30 pm: Leonidias Neighborhood Trash Bash and Picnic
NOLA TimeBank and Green Light New Orleans are bringing together neighbors, volunteers from out of state, and fellow TimeBankers in the Leonidas neighborhood for a TRASH BASH. Together we will rid the streets and catch basins of litter. We will also be doing some light yard work.
The project area is from Carrollton to Eagle and Claiborne to Zimple. If you live in the area or know someone in the area that needs extra help in their yard – be sure to contact Gretchen 504-484-9058.
Afterward come to a celebratory picnic in Palmer Park. TimeBankers should sign up here for Food Team or to lead a Clean – Up Team – http://www.nolatimebank.org/leonidas-trash-bash.html
There is a Facebook Event for RSVPs.
Come to Defend Our Community From the Real Estate Sharks at the HANO Board Meeting
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
4100 Touro St
Speak Out at Board Meeting
Pres Kabacoff was the real estate shark that kicked people out of St Thomas. He wants to do the same thing at Iberville. Come to this HANO meeting to stop Kabacoff and to defend and expand public housing.
· No Demolition of Iberville!
· Our community needs HOUSING AND JOBS!
· We Demand HANO rebuild all of the original 858 apartments at Iberville and the thousands HANO and their developer buddies have destroyed over the last twenty years.
· We Demand No more demolition and gentrification (kicking out poor people).
· We demand a new, mass public works program, at union wages, to rebuild housing, schools, hospitals and country in New Orleans and communities across the United States.
See Facebook Event for details.
For three and a half days the National Urban League will be presenting Occupy the Vote: Employment & Education Empower the Nation, the clarion call for all conference participants to be informed and deeply engaged in the various elements of economic empowerment.
To buy a ticket to the House of Blues Reception, visit https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/o2012-NewOrleansJuly25Reception and note the message “Please join President Obama for a reception with supporters like you in New Orleans” and well as the ticket prices ranging from 100 to 5,000 dollars.
This is obviously not an event for the 99% despite the co-opting of the “Occupy” name.
This conference is sponsored by Shell Oil.
July 26 (Thurs): Occupy The Stage Live Performances at OTS 2735c Toulouse Street. Bands TBA. Doors open at 9pm & show starts at 10pm! See OTS Website for updates.
Unitarian Universalist Church 5212 S. ClaiborneSpeakers include:
- Elizabeth Cook: Committee to Stop Oil Disaster
- Mike Russell: Socialist Alternative
- Andy Washington: Civil Rights Activist
- W.C. Johnson: United Front of New Orleans
- Mike Howells: Occupy NOLA
- And others.
For more info call 587-0080